We each have many types of love relationships — parents, children, spouses, friends. And they’re not always with people; you may love an animal, or a place. Is there a single idea or definition that runs through all the varieties of “love”?
In my opinion, love is total acceptance of someone or something.
I’m sure you’ve heard that love is blind. What I think that means is we are blind to the faults of who and/or what we love. You have to accept the good, the bad, the beauty, the ugliness and absolutely everything else.
Granted, we don’t have to love a kitten’s sharp claws to love the kitten, but you need to accept that he or she IS going to climb up your pants leg and probably do it a dozen times a week or more. If you can’t, then you shouldn’t have a kitten. In the same manner, you don’t have to love changing a baby’s diaper to love a baby, but you must accept that responsibility.
Maybe that is why the large majority of us have so much trouble loving ourselves. We know all the bad stuff we’ve done. We know how we secretly make fun of someone. We know when we’re angry, but lie our way out of it. We know when we’re passive-aggressive or at least have an idea that we’re doing it.
But, then again, you have to remember you are no worse than someone else on this planet. You were created in God’s image just like everyone else. Most of all, you must learn to accept your own problems before you can truly accept someone else’s. If God loves everyone — which I believe — then you must be worthy of that love. God accepts you just the way you are, why can’t you?
- Daily Prompt: I Want to Know What Love Is (EZ Cynical version) (bdagazdump.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: I Want to Know What Love Is (guesswork++ version) (bdagazdump.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: I Want to Know What Love Is (marta87wink.wordpress.com)
- Aspects of Love (maggiemendus.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: I Want to Know What Love Is (onmyfrontporch.com)
- Daily Prompt: I Want to Know What Love Is (anotherredletterday.com)
- Self-Love (lorensworld.com)
- Daily Prompt: Love IS (layedbacklife.wordpress.com)
- Daily Prompt: I want to know what love is. (angloswiss.wordpress.com)
- the UNCATEGORISED: Daily Prompt: I Want to Know What Love Is (thetrashbash.wordpress.com)